It’s time someone is honest with you, ditch the carpet pontoon flooring! It’s scratchy, it’s not easily cleaned, it doesn’t protect your floor from wood rot, it stains easily- the list goes on… Make an affordable investment on a product that increases your pontoon boat’s longevity. AquaTread® is the simple upgrade that can truly rejuvenate your pontoon for all the summer floatin’ to come.
Before you Begin
AquaTread® offers three different styles to fit the look you want, Solid, Simplicity, and Premier. When choosing to install AquaTread® on your pontoon, you HAVE to make sure the plywood on your subfloor is in good condition and all stationary items like seats are removed. Confirm it’s a strong foundation and sanded smooth. Remember: You can’t throw a blanket over a mess!
- Give Yourself Ample Amount of Time
- I will be honest with you and say this is no “Sunday family project.”
- Be Picky
- The weather should be no less than 65° F and no more than 85° Find a time when the weather is at a stable temperature, as vinyl can expand and contract.
- Select Your Adhesive and Gather Your Tools
- When choosing an adhesive, confirm that it is safe for use with vinyl. Be sure to choose the right Marine grade adhesive for your subfloor. A trowel will be needed, and a household utility knife can be used to trim for best fit. A 100lb roller can be rented, to go over the vinyl after being adhered.
- Let AquaTread® Relax
- Roll out the vinyl and fluff it to help lay flat. Take the core from the roll and work from the center out to remove any air bubbles or wrinkles. Although waiting is no fun, wait 24 hours before installing. This is the best time to rough trim the edges of the mat to fit. Note: You will trim to perfection after it’s adhered.
- Begin to Apply Your Adhesive on the Subfloor
- Using your trowel, follow the manufacturer’s steps on application and follow number six for my recommended application method.
- Use the Hinge Method to Adhere AquaTread®
- I would suggest installing from end-to-end instead of side-to-side. When using the hinge method think of drawing a line across half of the vinyl. Start adhering from the center “line” out to the edge, half at a time. CAREFULLY unroll a few inches at a time across the adhesive while firmly pressing to avoid air bubbles. When the entire vinyl has been installed, take the 100lb roller over the mat to ensure no air is trapped and no wrinkles formed!
- Trim to Fit
- For the perfectionists out there, this will be satisfying for you. Grab the utility knife once more and cut the edges alongside the border of the pontoon where the coping will be attached.
Adding AquaTread® to your pontoon is just one change that can make your pontoon the envy on the lake!